Complaint Process

Complaint process

If any volunteer, member or parent has a serious concern then they should follow the complaints process below. If the issue is a child protection issue then this should be reported immediately to the Child Protection Officer and reported through the Significant Incident Report Form. If you have serious concerns about the welfare of a child then you can contact Police on 101 or your Local Social Services which can be found on your Local Authority website.​​​​

SHA Complaint Process Flowchart​​​​​

The full SHA Complaints Process is currently under review